Navigation Menu+

Going on vacation without kids? Leave a power of attorney (Guest blog)

A concern that people often have when they are planning a vacation or a business trip is will someone be able to handle issues that may arise at home while they are gone, especially if someone else is caring for their children while they are away. This concern can be alleviated with a simple document called a Power of Attorney. A Power of Attorney is a document where you appoint someone to handle your affairs for you when you are unable to. Typically, this document is prepared in conjunction with your estate plan and provides for your agent (called your Power of Attorney) to handle things just as you could. A lot of people think that a power of attorney is only valid if, and when, you become incapacitated and no longer able to handle your affairs on your own. However, you do not need to be incapacitated for this document to be valid.

A general durable power of attorney is valid once you execute it and your agent can act on your behalf when you are away. So if you are planning a vacation or have an upcoming business trip and have a concern that someone will need to have authority to pay the bills, or access your bank account, or perhaps even sign documents for you while you are gone, the general durable power of attorney will accomplish that.

Guest blog by Rose Coonen, Attorney with Wolven & Coonen PLLC